BioSc 172 teaches students about all aspects of the biotechnology field, with content appropriate for a wide range of students and professionals. Topics include legal and ethical issues surrounding biotechnology, cells, genes, DNA, proteins, genetic engineering, drug development, biofuels, agriculture, bioremediation, biotechnology company structure, and the regulations affecting the field. Satisfies pre-requisite and transfer requirements. General education:IGETC Area V and CSU B3, Articulates with UC Davis Biotech1 course.
Offered in Fall and Spring Semesters: for Spring 2023, BIOSC172-1724 is an 100% online asynchronous course. Starts January 23.
What happens in the course?
principles underlying biotechnology.
methods and applications.
Products, structure, processes and opportunities
sequencing, genome comparisons, gene isolation, PCR, recombinant DNA
cells, molecules, techniques and applications
especially cell signaling and treatments
surrounding the field biotechnology and life sciences
change traits, make products, understand inheritance, health
Gene expression, mutations, family history and breeding
- Scientific Communication of biology and life science
- Aligning biotechnology products to basic biology concepts
- Navigate biotechnology company structure and innovation culture
- Biological structures and molecules (Cells, genes, DNA, Protein…)
- Regulations affecting the biotechnology field
- Cell culture, including stem cells
- Explain common life science techniques (PCR, chromatography, sequencing)
- Discuss legal and ethical issues surrounding biotechnology
- Explain process of bio-product development and manufacturing
Who should take the course?
- Biotechnology students
- General Education: IGETC (area V) and CSU GE (area B3)
- Allied Health: Meets pre-requisite requirements to BIOSC 119, BIOSC 134
- Articulates with UC Davis Biotech1 course
What type of jobs does it prepare for?
- Research and lab support
- Biopharmaceutical manufacturing
- Gene therapies
- Immunotherapy (invivo, tissue collection, animal research)
Part of certificate
- Biotechnology Technician
- Biotechnolgy Associates of Science