BIOSC186: Learn to produce biological molecules in living organisms, and how to purify and analyze them for safe and effective delivery to the consumer. Cell culture, chromatography, bioassays and data analysis techniques are useful in a variety of life science industries such as cannabis, prescription drugs (pharmaceuticals), vaccines, tests for diseases, nutritional supplements, cosmetics, genetic testing and more. Students with interests and skills in chemistry, biology, engineering, and mathematical skills learn the aspect of process development in an environment similar to what’ found in a regulated industry. This training directly prepares students for actual employment in the biomanufacturing sector of the life sciences industry.
Offered in Spring Semesters: for Spring 2022, BIOSC186-1866 meets Thursday 2:30-5:40PM. Starts January 27.
What happens in the course?
micropipettes, spectrophotometry, analytical balance
batch records, sampling, documentation, acurate technique
calculations, precision measurment, sterilization
efficiency of process, continuous improvement
(prepare certificate of analysis, active ingredient, contaminant/impurity levels
test multiple growth conditions, select most productive
HPLC, FPLC to detect contaminants and impurities
extraction technique, separation, storage, labeling
ACTA-FPLC, size exclusion, ion-exhange
grow and sample cells in carefully controlled aseptic conditions
- Cell culture in bioreactors
- Chromatography for purification and analysis
- Quantitative analysis of purified molecules
- Laboratory calculations for media and assays
- Scale up
- cGMP, GLP
- Analyze purification data (yield, purity)
- Batch Records
- Develop purification strategies based on molecule characteristics
Who should take this?
- Looking for employment in biotechnology/life science industry
- STEM majors (Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry)
- Those needing to purify active ingredient or make an extract
What types of jobs does it prepare for?
- Biomanufacturing (including pharmaceuticals)
- Quality Control Technician/Assistant
- Research and lab support
Part of certificates
- Biotechnology Technician
- AS Biotechnology
- Laboratory Professional II (NC)