BIOSC876N: Create clear and professional communications products from the data and analysis of life science labwork. Make workshop presentations for community audiences, prepare scientific reports, or develop social media and website products. Part of “Lab Professional I” non-credit certificate and preparation for a CCC-BEST internship.
Offered in Spring Semesters: for Spring 2023, BIOSC876N-0949 meets Wednesdays from 4:00-5:50PM. (note: this is a late start course) Starts March 22.
appropriate for the intended audience.
deliver an effective life science workshop appropriate for the audience
accurate and engaging workshop on a life science topic to a community audience
analysis, statistics, standard curve
- Preparation of an effective and accurate scientific report that is useful to the customer
- Effective workshop methods and elements
- Social media basics (target outcome, content, and design)
- Workshop design and delivery (determining purpose and audience, developing content, creating structure)
- Scientific report basics (data selection & analysis, making figures, writing text
- Available media technologies and resources for creation of social media products
- Create and publish an engaging social media item (website, podcast, vlog)
- Create figures and present scientific results and analysis in a professional report
- Develop and deliver a scientific workshop
Who should take this course?
- Biology majors
- Biotechnology students
- STEM majors
What types of jobs does it prepare for?
- Research labs
- Science outreach
- Scientific training and education
More details about Science Communication here.
Part of Certificates
Laboratory Professional I